NYmama

I never thought I would fall in love, get married, and have a baby miles away from my family and dearest friends, but it looks like that's the way its turning out! So I am expanding my horizons and creating a blog so I can share the laughs, cries, and many freak-me-out episodes of pregnancy along with all the other fun stuff going on at Chez Kean NYC with my southern fam and anyone else who is interested!

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

New York City - The Good Things


Since Gerald and I are planning to move to Boston eventually, we have decided we need to really start appreciating all that NYC has to offer before we go. I am not talking about spending hundreds of dollars on shows and dinners; I am talking about all the good things that are right under our noses. Take two examples:
1) The sunrise or the sunset off the East and Hudson rivers. In the 4 years that I have been running on these river paths, I have never taken my camera which is regrettable because these views are breathtaking. This morning was especially glorious. A wonderful way to start the day. Sometime in the next few months I promise to take along the camera and show you what I mean.
2) The diversity of people you pass by everyday. Did you know that the UN General Assembly is called to session with an interfaith prayer session at St Betholomews across the street from the UN? Religious leaders from countries across the world are accorded a few minutes to say a prayer or perform a ritual of their faith. The first at the altar (podium in such a setting?) is a 109 year old Swami who can purportedly blow in a conch shell for 8 straight days. And that is how the session starts - a few long blasts from the conch. So why am I telling you this? Because this Swami lives at 57th and 1st which is where my bus stop is located, so I have probably walked by this guy many times. I think that's kinda cool.

I'll be adding to my list of Good Things About New York in my regular updates so you can start appreciating NYC more too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home